Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

finally harvesting!

The weather over the past week was pretty good up until today. Last weekend it finally became dry enough for us to be able to do some combining. Starting to harvest on Sept. 26th is one of the latest starts we've ever had. Dad tells the story of not turning a wheel until the first of Oct. one year, but I must have been too young to remember. Here you can see us harvesting our certified organic yellow peas. These peas will be used for human consumption...pea soup! or for animal feed. I will have to spend a little effort trying to market them after harvest is over. These are the peas that Pea Butter is made from.

3 comments:

  1. Coooool footage. Glad to see those peas come off!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin...I lost my HD video camera charging cord in the move somewhere. Had to shoot it with my crappy old camera. oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I also should've mentioned that this field of peas yielded around 800 bushels so that equates to about 32 bushels per acre. Pretty good for organic peas! We won't talk about my buckwheat yield though...hail.

    ReplyDelete