Pages

Thursday, December 03, 2009

Year-end of Grain Farming

Well, the year of grain farming is pretty much over. I still have 9 totes of organic wheat in the yard that need to be cleaned and bagged and there are still some bales in the field that I will haul home this coming weekend. But other than that there just isn't that much left to accomplish. Most of the equipment is home and waiting for maintenance but without a heated shop that sort of stuff can wait till march. The tractors and combine and swathers all need oil changes and other minor repairs.

I will also need to unload the 160 bushels of screenings from the back of the Hino and grind that up for pig/chicken feed with the mixmill. Here is a video I shot last week when I drove the 3788 home for the last time this year.

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking at making my own feed per your instructions, and noticed you talked about a mixmill in this posting. What's the least expensive way to mill feed to a state where pigs can get good use out of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a good used older mix-mill isn't going to set you back a whole lot of money. But since you asked what is the least expensive way I will tell you. When my mix-mill broke down a few years ago I didnt have the time to fix it so I ended up soaking my grain for the pigs' feed. I got four or five buckets and filled them 3/4 full of grain which was about what I needed for my couple of pigs at each feeding. I then topped the buckets up with warm water. Everytime I fed a bucket I would fill it back up with grain/water and put it in order with the rest of the buckets. After a couple days of the grain soaking, it was soft and sprouted and a perfect feed for the pigs. I actually did this on a larger scale in one of those steel troughs. I would take a bucket of soaked grain and then replace it with a dry bucket and add water as necessary mixing it with a shovel every day. Worked well for me.

    ReplyDelete